Who We Are
General Medicine, The Post-Hospitalist Company is a collaborative group of physicians and advanced nurse practitioners whose focus is caring for patients in long-term care settings.
Specifically, we provide post-acute care facilities with post-hospitalists that specialize in the care of post-acute patients. Our practitioners care exclusively for patients in nursing homes, skilled nursing, rehabilitation and other long-term care facilities rather than in addition to work in their practices and hospital rounds.
The practice was formed in 1983 by Dr. Thomas Prose, who had a vision to provide specialized care exclusively to patients who are between hospital and home.
Dr. Prose’s goal has always been to:
- Provide caring clinicians who dedicate their time to post-acute care patients exclusively
- Meet the specific needs of individual clients and their patients
- Minimize hospital admissions through early interventions
- Provide consistent, on-site hours
- Minimize ER visits through 24/7 On-Call Services
- Improve patient care and health through continuity of care
By embracing these values, we have become one of the nation’s leading providers of post-hospitalist services. In fact, we’re honored to say, nine of the top 10 MCOs in the nation have contracted with General Medicine.
Because our practitioners work exclusively with their long-term care patients, rather than in addition to work in their practice and hospital rounds, effective doctor/patient and doctor/staff relationships develop. This leads to better patient care, fewer staff turnovers and lower healthcare spending.
What does having a General Medicine Post-Hospitalist as part of your team mean?
- 24/7 On Call Services
- Daily On-Site Hours
- Fewer 30-Day Hospital Readmissions
- Fewer Unnecessary Emergency Room Visits
- Patient-Focused Care
- Care Coordination with other Healthcare Providers
- Reduced Health care Spending
- Accessibility to Family
- Fewer Staff Turnovers
Our clinicians’ caseloads are assigned with careful assessment and consideration of the type of patient care needed to ensure they have adequate time to provide high-quality care.
In addition to Post-Hospitalist services, General Medicine also provides:
- Medical Director Services
- Primary Care Services
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner Services