Over 3,000 Dual Eligibles Patients in Illinois select The Post-Hospitalist Company
DETROIT, October 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company has once again achieved another milestone in the last quarter of 2014. Within one week of the launch of the state of Illinois’s newest Managed Care Health Plan, the Medicare-Medicaid Duals Plan, over 3,000 members/enrollees of this newest health plan have chosen General Medicine, The Post-Hospital Company to become their physician service providers.
General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company is the nation’s leading provider of specialized post-hospitalist medical care services to managed care organizations, Medicare-Medicaid dual eligible programs, Medicare Advantage Plans, accountable care organizations’ high-value provider networks, hospital systems and hospitalist programs.
Nationally, General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company has agreements to provide specialized, post-hospitalist medical care to more than 1,000 facilities. In addition, its group also provides geriatric, physical medicine and rehabilitation services to patients in sub-acute, skilled nursing, long-term care and assisted living facilities.
The post-hospitalist medical care program is a recognized, specialized approach to the practice of medicine in post-acute and long-term care settings. Patient acuity in these settings is increasing dramatically and physicians need to have a medical practice that fits into an interdisciplinary environment that is specialized in the care of patients in post-acute facilities.
The focus of General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company is on addressing the needs of high-risk, medically complex patients with the overall goal of enhancing and coordinating care of older adults and chronically ill patients in all post-acute settings.
Several key factors to consider about General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company:
- Specialize only in post-hospital and long-term care medicine.
- Consistently reduce hospital readmissions with a documented ten-year average readmission rate of 11.3 percent, while servicing more than 60,000 patients. (52 percent below the 30-day national average of 23.5 percent for the corresponding period).
- Reductions of unecessary ER usage – averaging over 33 percent.
- Achieved Top 10 percent audited Health Care Effectiveness Data and Information Set (Hedis) Rate results for 2013.
- Currently contracted with 9 of the top 10 MCOs in the nation.
Specific Benefits of General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company Services Include:
- Reduced length of hospital stays.
- Reduced frequency of potentially avoidable hospital (PAH) admissions and readmissions.
- Reduced unnecessary ER utilization.
- Reduced overall health care spending.
- Improved patient health outcomes.
- Improved process of transitions between inpatient hospitals, post-acute facilities and home.
Recognizing that hospital readmissions are excessive and extremely costly, General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company worked with the state of Illinois’s Integrated Care Plan to reduce area’s hospital readmission rates for post-acute Medicaid patients by 18 percent in the first year.
Additionally, the plan saw a 15 percent decrease in the rate of ER visits resulting in a hospital admission, and a 39 percent decrease in the percentage of high-frequency emergency department users, according to an independent evaluation from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
One hundred twelve of General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company post-acute and long-term care facility partners received four out of five ratings nationwide and were recognized as the Nation’s Best Nursing Homes for 2013. This recognition is reported by U.S. News and World Report in its annual Best Nursing Homes report.
“We are appreciative that MCOs, insurance plans and hospitals recognize the significant impact our services have on their post-acute patient populations, and we are excited about our scheduled expansion in 2015,” said Thomas M. Prose, M.D., MPH, MBA, President, General Medicine., The Post-Hospitalist Company.
For questions or comments contact Thomas M. Prose, MD, MHA, MBA, President, General Medicine, P.C., The Post-Hospitalist Company, 21333 Haggerty Road, Suite 150, Novi, Michigan 48375, or call 800-979-9595.